At the children’s house we understand the importance of your child making a smooth transition to primary school and we are committed to supporting this process. We ask you to let us know which local primary school your child will be attending as soon as their place is confirmed. During the spring/summer term before your child starts school (normally, but not necessarily) in the following September we begin to support transition in the following way:
- We run a ‘Prep’ class for the children that will leave us to go to school in the following September – you can find out more about this in the 3-4 year base room.
- Reception class teachers from your child’s school will be invited into the setting to meet your child and their keyworker
- Where appropriate, your child’s keyworker can support your child at their new school on a transition visit
- We share your child’s assessment documents and their ‘All About Me’ information with reception class teachers so that they can see the kind of work they have been doing and how they might be helped to settle in
- We discuss the children’s new schools at circle/group time and read story books based upon starting school – we are always positive and offer lots of encouragement
- Where appropriate, children can bring transition books from their new schools to show their friends and the staff team at nursery.
- For children with additional needs it may be necessary to have more transition visits to their new school. We will commit to sending their keyworker with them for as many visits as is agreed by parents/carers and the school.
Please do speak to us if you have any questions regarding school transition and we will do our very best to help. We have a factsheet to support Children’s confidence (1)